FCMA Parent Guild
Why Form a Parent group?
It has been well documented by many sources that parental involvement can greatly impact a child’s academic success. In fact, it is mandated by the MDE and Title 1 legislation, but there is no mandate that we have to form a PTA or PTO. Creating our own parent group, and integrating it into the current administrative structure, allows us to borrow and learn from other institutions with high levels of family involvement. We can create a program that truly creates our own “FCMA village” in which to raise our children. By starting a group like this from the ground up, we can ensure that all families feel like part of our school. We at FCMA believe that the school, the parent, and the child should form a triangle of support and cooperation to best ensure the child’s development.
The Governing Ideals behind the Parent Guild
- It creates a growth environment not only for the children, but for their parents too.
- The most important aspect of FCMA is our total respect for the learner - be it parent, teacher or student. All parent group gatherings will be conducted with the same level of commitment our children are asked to have in the classroom.
- Staff, parents and children are not “talked down” to or manipulated to obtain results.
- We utilize our keen observation and listening skills to look for opportunities to involve the child’s Montessori progression in all Parent Guild activities. The Montessori environment provides the framework within which students become self-directed leaders. So, in the development of events, we use students as much as possible on different levels: individual, team, and organizational (each level building upon the other).
- As our children’s first “teachers”, families will be learners as we collaborate and construct a community together. Our Parent Guild members chose a Montessori education for their child, so they joined a community of like-minded families with similar core values to theirs when it comes to raising a child. This results in a great sense of camaraderie, support and friendship amongst parents, which successfully carries over to the children.
We’ve made the Parent Guild at FMCA simple
- There is no membership or dues - you are automatically a member if you have a child enrolled at FCMA.
- Identify the committee that you find most interesting (donʼt worry - even for those with limited time, there are plenty of ways to help).
- Take advantage of numerous opportunities for parent involvement. Each of these parent committees has been started and maintained by parents. Parents find that participating at FCMA enriches their relationship with fellow parents, their children's classmates, and the school staff. Most committees provide opportunities for children and parents to socialize together and engage in growth promoting activities for the whole family.
- Each committee organizes their volunteer efforts, and parents may contact their classroom teacher, classroom liaison, or the Lead Focus Liaison for the committee you are interested in.
- Use the honor-based tracking form to monitor your familyʼs involvement with FMCA. At the end of the year, turn it in with feedback. This helps in providing support for educators, essential leadership for programs, and ideas for improvements in the education system.
- Please attend Parent Guild Coordination Meetings whenever you can. EVERYONE is encouraged to attend! For the Parent Guild to run effectively, monthly attendance will be mandatory for people who volunteer for these specific roles, as these people are responsible for the dissemination of critical information to their groups:
- Main Classroom Liaisons (or acting representative)
- Main Committee Liaisons (or acting representative)
- Administration Representative
- Teacher Representative
All members of our community are invited to attend any of our regular monthly Parent Guild meetings. Please check announcements on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/FourCornersMontessori or meeting announcements at the top of your weekly Office Update from our Headmaster.
Jivano, 4-6 Year
I like how the work cycles and how we use materials. It is nice how we use geometry and math cards. I just love everything at FCMA!